NOW SOLD – Sorry this keyring has now been sold and can no longer be ordered
An original new old stock Jaguar torpedo keyring dating from the 1960s – how many of these are still in existence in this condition after over 50 years ?
This keyring is in mint condition with the vitreous enamel badge mounted onto a tan torpedo keyfob which is gold embossed with the supplying dealership’s details – the very well known Appleyard Rippon Jaguar dealership based in Leeds England.
The keyring was made by Castles Unit Developments ( CUD ) of Castle Gate, Leicester – their CUD mark is cast into the back of the badge.
A similar keyring ( but not in mint condition ) is shown and described in Bud Marston’s ‘ Vintage Jaguar Keyrings ‘ book featured at the beginning of our Jaguar section in this website shop.
Bud states that the Castles red-on-red growler torpedo keyfob almost never appears for sale and goes on to say that the tan coloured ones like this one are ‘exceedingly rare ‘.
We have listed just a couple of examples of this keyring over the last 10 years- both had Appleyard Rippon’s details embossed .
Appleyard’s North Street Garage opened in Leeds in 1927 on a most extensive site which extended through to Roseville Road .
Later on the Roseville Road end of the site became known locally as ‘The Jag end ” due to it becoming the largest Jaguar showroom in the North of England.
Ian Appleyard was married to the daughter of Sir William Lyons who was the chairman of the Jaguar empire.
The business sadly closed in the 1980s having become the largest single floor garage & showroom in Europe.
The keyring in the photos is the actual one which you will receive.
When it has been sold this listing will be cancelled. 00/597 12/19